- Engine Testing Procedure
Engine Testing Procedure
This procedure was used during engine testing activities in Area II.
- Mount engine on stand.
- Purge LOX dome with gaseous nitrogen.
- Flush TCE through thrust chamber and LOX dome. TCE would drop into the flame bucket.
- Dry LOX dome with gaseous nitrogen after TCE flushing.
- Fill thrust chamber to overflowing with TCE.
- Drain thrust chamber and test engine.
- Pump fuel and oxidizer to engine’s ignition system and blend.
- Ignite blend; engine burns and flames shoot down into flame deflector, and exit through the thrust chamber.
- Large volumes of water are injected into the shoot area during the test for cooling purposes.
- Cooling water is channeled to area skim pond.
- Repeat flushing one day after the engine test (beginning with the LOX dome purge).
Note: After 1961, when the TCE recycling system was implemented, TCE was captured in a catch pan and contained in a storage tank after being flushed through the engines. TCE was then sold for recycling.