[Skip site path]
The NASA SSFL website will be temporarily unavailable due to planned maintenance activities
between 3:00 PM Friday, October 9 and noon Saturday, October 10 Pacific Time.
This site will return to normal service as soon as scheduled maintenance activities are complete. Thank you for your patience.
Area II General Engine Testing Procedures
- Mount engine on stand.
- Purge LOX dome with gaseous nitrogen.
- Flush TCE through thrust chamber and LOX dome. TCE would drop into the flame bucket.
- Dry LOX dome with gaseous nitrogen after TCE flushing.
- Fill thrust chamber to overflowing with TCE.
- Drain thrust chamber and test engine.
- Pump fuel and oxidizer to engine’s ignition system and blend.
- Ignite blend; engine burns and flames shoot down into flame deflector, and exit
through the thrust chamber.
- Large volumes of water are injected into the shoot area during the test for cooling
- Cooling water is channeled to area skim pond.
- Repeat flushing one day after the engine test (beginning with the LOX dome purge).
Note: After 1961, when the TCE recycling system was implemented, TCE was captured
in a catch pan and contained in a storage tank after being flushed through the engines.
TCE was then sold for recycling.
Unless otherwise indicated, all images are provided by NASA.
External link icon This website contains links to non-NASA websites or websites that are not
under the control of NASA. These links do not constitute endorsement nor is there a guarantee of privacy or accuracy of
information. External links are denoted with this external link icon.
Adobe PDF icon
documents on this website, designated with this Adobe PDF icon or "PDF", require software capable of rendering PDF files
to be viewed. Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded free from Adobe Systems, Inc. using the "Get Adobe Reader" link.